My friends and I have game jams from time to time. We had one a few weeks ago and I worked on an idea that I had for a TIGSource competition. We didn’t end up with a game for the competition, but I did come up with a mockup and concept. I love making mockups because they give everyone a unified vision to further brainstorm as a group.
The Game Concept:
Earth has just been destroyed by a meteor, and the last hope for humanity lays with the remaining humans on a space station. The game is called Consummation Station.
– You float the astronauts around the treacherous space station in zero gravity and pair them up with each other to mate.
– You can pan around the level and move any astronaut at any time.
– Humpy the monkey will hump you. If an astronaut touches him they become paired and you lose that astronaut.
– Electric currents will shock you. (slows you down or removes time from the clock)
– Touching windows will break them and anything near will get sucked into space.
– You have to get a certain number of paired astronauts to complete each level.
There would be lots of floating around, timing, and avoiding things like the water level in TMNT for the NES.
I also started to make a song for it with a Gameboy tracker. It’s really repetitive and the mood isn’t nearly sexy enough, but it’s something.